October was a great balance of fun activities and quiet moments. I stayed in a lot, Andrew & I had some good QT and I got to see my niece as Harry Potter for Halloween. Does it get any better than that?
My TOP 5 oul eflections from October
1. What I’m nerding out to: "Love Warrior" by Glennon Doyle
WOW. Just wow. I haven't loved a book so much in a LONG time. It was so raw, beautiful and heart-wrenchingly REAL. I was completely blown away. It's a book that should be on every woman's reading list because I think we can all relate to the experiences shared. The light bulbs were going off all overrrrr the place!
Here are a few of my fave quotes that make me teary just writing them here:
- “You are not supposed to be happy all the time. Life hurts and it's hard. Not because you're doing it wrong, but because it hurts for everybody. Don't avoid the pain. You need it. It's meant for you. Be still with it, let it come, let it go, let it leave you with the fuel you'll burn to get your work done on this earth.”
- “We think our job as humans is to avoid pain, our job as parents is to protect our children from pain, and our job as friends is to fix each other's pain. Maybe that's why we all feel like failures so often - because we all have the wrong job description for love.”
- “I'm not a mess but a deeply feeling person in a messy world. I explain that now, when someone asks me why I cry so often, I say, 'For the same reason I laugh so often--because I'm paying attention.' I tell them that we can choose to be perfect and admired or to be real and loved. We must decide.”
2. What I’ve got playing on repeat: Glorious by Macklemore feat Skylar Grey
I was already obsessed with this song AND THEN I SAW THE MUSIC VIDEO!!!!! As someone who is also very close with my grandparents, this music video plucked ALL of my heart strings. As if I couldn't love Macklemore any more!
(My grandpa just turned 99 and totally joins Macklemore's grandma in the cool grandparents club. Check out the hilariously awesome present his friend gave him as a birthday gift on my Insta!)
3. What I’m grateful for: THIS NUGGET (my unbelievably cute niece)
4. What I learned: Practice what you preach
I was reminded how important it is to practice what you preach. I realized that I, once again, was neglecting my own self care (even though it's something I teach about on the reg!). So I set out the intention that I wasn't going to do that this month. And I stuck to it!
I booked several doctor's appointments I had been putting off, finally got a cavity filled I had been dreading, went to the naturopath to get my digestion back on track, got my every 6-month haircut, started physical therapy for my wrist that's been bothering me for months and made time for date nights, gentle yoga and tea time with my leading ladies.
5. Magical Moment of the Month: Seeing Mat Kearney in concert for the 5th time!
Andrew and I have grown up with Mat Kearney and have seen him in concert during all different phases in our relationship (our first concert was in 2009!). It is always such a fun and nostalgic experience. Loved being back at the beautiful Cal Shakes amphitheater venue and loved that the concert was put on by Notes4Hope in support of breast cancer prevention (which is a cause that is near and dear to Andrew and me). So much love all around!
Now it's your turn! What were your TOP 5 soul reflections from October? Share them in the comments!
1. What are you nerding out to?
2. What song do you have playing on repeat?
3. What are you grateful for?
4. What did you learn?
5. What was your Magical Moment of the Month?